Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Favorite scene of the book is in book 5 when Ino saves Odysseus. Massive waves came crashing down on Odysseus and he got seperated from his raft. There was no fast way out, no struggling up from under the giant wave's, his clothing dragged him down. Half drowned he didn't forget his raft. Inos says strip off those clothes and leave your craft for the winds to hurl and swim for it now you must strike out with your arms for landfall there. I like this scene because i can relate to it. It was winter time and i took the train to atlantic city. I went there with my surfboard and a backpack. Once I got to the spot i like to surf i changed into my wetsuit. The winds were very strong and the waves were choppy and big. It took at least a half hour or more to get past the breakers, wave after wave came and took me under. Once one wave came another would be close by to take me under again. I would only have about a second to catch my breath before another came. I would have to ditch my board because the waves were to big and strong to duckdive under. I remember seeing about five to six waves coming towards me. I paddled as fast as i could to get under the first wave so that the rest of them wouldn't crash on me. I didn't make it past it so i had to hold my breath and pop up to the surface and take a breaths inbetween, waves. Once those waves past the waves calmed and i saw an opening. I got to were the lineup was and i rested on my board for awhile to catch my breath. My wetsuit is tight around the neck and it made the whole experience that much worse not to mention i makes your whole body feel heavier. After my brainfreaze when away and i found stregth to actually start surfing. Paddling made my arms feel like jello, but i managed to ride a couple lines without getting out of the line up and into the whitewash. However my luck didn't last to long because i caught a wave that made me realize how powerless i truly was out there.

1 comment: